PURPOSE: This document describes the how VEC uses and shares members' personal information
DATE APPROVED: 3/20/11
DATE REVISED: 4/16/14
B. How information is used
1. VEC uses Personal Information to administer member accounts, to provide and improve member services, and to manage business operations. Some examples include:
• To generate members' billing statements and to post payments to members' accounts.
• To provide members with outage information.
• To provide members with peak alerts and important warning messages.
Some of these services are provided by third-party vendors, such as a billing services provider, subject to the legal obligation to treat information confidentially and to not disclose it to unauthorized persons. Bill payments are processed securely through companies which comply with Federal "Red Flag" requirements on to ensure that Personal Information is never disclosed inadvertently. VEC's Red Flag Policy is available on the VEC website or by member request by mail or telephone.
2. As required by the VEC By-laws, VEC maintains a record of the names and addresses of members, which is open for inspection by members, but shall not be used for a member's business purposes or any other non-Cooperative purpose. In connection with elections, VEC provides lists (names and addresses only) of the members in a district or zone to candidates running for Directors position – but only for use in connection with the election. VEC may use members' email addresses to send statements by candidates for director positions to members within their zone or district as part of annual director elections. VEC will not disclose the email addresses but will send one statement per election on each candidate's behalf.
3. VEC may also use members' email addresses to communicate with members directly, for example to provide peak alerts, information about annual meetings and other information.
4. VEC may release information to third parties if required by law, by VEC's bylaws, or if necessary to allow a third party to collect delinquent amounts owed by the member.
Member Usage Information
1. VEC uses Member Usage Information to assist members in analyzing and managing their electric usage. Some examples include:
• To enable members to see their energy usage data on a next-day basis via secure access on the Internet.
• To analyze energy usage to help members select the best rate plan or take advantage of programs offered by VEC and the Vermont Efficiency Utility (Efficiency Vermont or EVT).
• To provide energy saving tips and energy management tips tailored to the member's needs and circumstances.
2. VEC may also provide data about electric usage and patterns in various formats to Efficiency Vermont or other third party service providers for various purposes all directed at improving system efficiency and customer service. These third party providers will be subject to the legal obligation to treat information confidentially and to not disclose it to unauthorized persons. Examples of such use include:
• To analyze rates and rate structures.
• To project usage demand patterns and plot growth off different substations or other areas.
• To improve our energy planning in order to better design and engineer our electric distribution systems.
C. Data Security
VEC has implemented extensive measures and protocols to ensure the integrity of its systems and to secure and protect member information and communications. VEC safeguards information on secure systems with restricted access. VEC also uses advanced security controls to protect the information when it is stored or transmitted. Information and data that members may access through VEC on the Internet are protected using the cyber security protocols that prevent third parties from accessing personal data contained in the VEC business systems.
D. Website Information
The following discloses information gathering and dissemination practices for the VEC website.
• Members' Internet Protocol (IP) addresses are used to help VEC identify website usage patterns.
• Any information collected from the website is never sold, rented, loaned, or the like, to any third party for any reason.